- 1 Rules
- 2 Content nominations
- 3 Text submissions
- 4 Media submissions
- 5 Film screening
- 6 Judges
- 7 Awards offered
The Wikimania Awards are a free content writing and media contest that takes place at Wikimania. The contest is for the best video, audio, image, and textual content created for use on Wikimedia projects over the past year. Any content that was created after August 8, 2005 is eligible for entry in the contest. A special category is set aside for content created on the way to, or at, Wikimania 2006. Submitted content must be free content, and in use, or usable, on at least one content page on a Wikimedia project.
A Wikimania film screening Friday night will also showcase some longer free-content video shorts, some of which have been turned into full documentaries.
- Submissions can be entered for one category only.
- Submissions must be your own work
- Submissions should be suitable for use on one or more Wikimedia projects (not Commons alone)
- Submissions must be licensed under the Creative Commons Public Domain, the GFDL, or the Creative Commons Share-Alike 2.0 license, or multi-licensed including one of these licenses.
- Submissions must be fully copyright compliant (e.g., there should be no copyright concerns about the subject of the media)
- Entries should be uploaded to commons and listed at the gallery pages below
- The closing date for entries for categories 1 to 6 is 3 August 2006. Entries for all sections of category 7 must be complete by August 5 2006.
- File types:
- Audio should be submitted as .ogg files
- Photos should be submitted as .jpg files
- Video should be submitted as Ogg/Theora (w:User:Gmaxwell will perform conversions from other formats).
- Writing can be submitted in any open format
- Photos should be suitable for printing at 20 X 30cm. Audio and video should be no more than 40 MB in size after compression
- Submissions may be digitally manipulated to improve any aspect, but should remain a true and accurate representation of the subject.
- Consideration will be given to the choice of subject, with unusual or difficult to obtain subjects being given extra credit, but the quality of the submission will be the primary consideration.
Please nominate the best Wikimedian created media or text you have encountered on a Wikimedia project for the free content contest (if created within the last year). To nominate a work, please link to it below and note the primary authors/creators (and let them know their work has been nominated :).
If you are interested in judging the contest, or have a prize to offer, please add your name further down the page. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judging criteria: Ideal submissions will be
- – Entirely or mostly written / transcribed / released under a free license in the past year
- – Well written and educational, or good exemplars of a specific topic
- – Well sourced and illustrated
- – Available in multiple languages
Current events and Pop Culture
see News below
History & Biography
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Miami%2C_Florida Self-Nom, English FA written this year, survived the main page as well. Jaranda 23:19, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudius Self-Nomination. The Roman Emperor Claudius. Completely rewritten in November 2005, made a Featured Article in December 2005, featured on the main English page January 24, 2006. Selected for the version 0.5 release of Wikipedia and included in the 2006 Wikipedia CD selection. LaurenCole 23:47, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%82%AC2_commemorative_coins English FA written over the course of the past half year, written about a subject on which little information in English is available (likely due to the fact that Ireland is the only English-speaking country which has the euro). Self-nomination. —Nightstallion (?) 06:00, 25 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_member_states_by_accession Comprehensive English FL. Self-nomination. (I'm not sure whether submitting more than one work is allowed; if not, consider the euro coins article my only entry.) —Nightstallion (?) 06:00, 25 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Tatum Self-nom GA there Jaranda 02:55, 29 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selena Self nom article F, completely rewritten, ditto Nightstallion, if more than one work is not allowed, make this my main choice Jaranda 02:56, 29 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_Jinnah Self nom article - comprehensively re-written in April; passed FAC in April-May, appeared on mainpage on June 7, 2006. Rama's Arrow 16:13, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
- ja:ボツワナの歴史 (In English, the article which hanles the same theme is en:History of Botswana.) - self nomination. The first version of this article is edited on 2006-03-31 14:55 (UTC) Hareno 09:07, 1 August 2006 (UTC)
Humanities, Social science, Art & Culture
- en.Music of the United States - self-nom, featured and will be on the main page August 4, selected for the 0.5 release 184.108.40.206 01:34, 25 July 2006 (UTC) (sorry no account here, this is TUF-KAT)
- Language Policy in Israel (in Hebrew) - self nomination. The English equivalent is Languages of Israel. The Hebrew version is more detailed. The first version of this text is from December 2005, does it comply with the rules? Drork 22:37, 28 July 2006 (UTC)
- Trobairitz I think it's pretty neat, well illustrated, well sourced, why not. en:User:Makemi
- The Illuminatus! Trilogy selfnom FA on english wikipedia Zzzzz
- Tenebrae (film) selfnom FA on english wikipedia Zzzzz
- Hong Kong action cinema selfnom FA on english wikipedia Zzzzz
- The KLF selfnom FA on english wikipedia Zzzzz
- Halloween (film) selfnom FA on english wikipedia Zzzzz
Natural Science & Technology
- WikiGadugi Native Cherokee Language Encyclopedia - Full translation of Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikisource, and Wikibooks into the Cherokee Language and Sequoyah Syllabary and development of a machine translator to convert the English Wikipedia into the Cherokee and Uto-Aztecan Native American Languages. Development of Open WikiTrans Native American Languages Machine Translator and Chr2syl Native Cherokee Language Tools for the Native American Wikipedia Community to support Native American Language Preservation and Language Immersion Programs. Featured Articles at WikiGadugi are uploaded to the Wikimedia Cherokee Wikipedia site after being reviewed for accuracy and completeness and are in use on a Wikimedia project. Some examples are ᎤᎶᎩᎸ (cloud),ᏡᎬ (tree),ᎠᎺᏉᎯ (ocean),ᎤᏍᏔᎦᎳᏱ (cave),ᎠᎹᏍᎧᎦᎯ (waterfall). The Foundation has not updated the images database for the Cherokee Wikipedia (since it only has one currently active Cherokee speaking editor) to resync with commons for some time, so my translations that reference images on commons don't show up on some of the articles. Please visit WikiGadugi to see the articles rendered with images. (NOTE: WikiGadugi is 2 TB in size and is too large to upload to Wikimedia Commons) -- Link uploaded to Wikimedia Commons WikiGadugi -- en:Jeffrey Vernon Merkey and meta:User:Jmerkey 02:41, 28 July 2006 (UTC)
- Saffron - written mostly by en:User:Saravask in December 2005. --18413746 23:47, 30 July 2006 (UTC)
- ja:宝永大噴火 (in Japanese) - self nomination. In en en:Hoei eruption of Mount Fuji. The first version of this text is edited on 2006-03-05. --Miya.m (ja:User:Miya.m) 14:33, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
- ja:緑膿菌 (= en:Pseudomonas aeruginosa in Japanese) - Its primary author is ja:User:Y tambe, who wrote its most part and made its images. The first edit was on 2006-03-31 11:41:04. --Miya 23:20, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
- nl:Structuuranalyse_en_vibratiespectroscopie - Structure analysis by using vibrational spectroscopy by nl:Gebruiker:Annabel - Annabel 06:46, 4 August 2006 (UTC)
News (summary & original reporting), Current events
- Bathurst, NSW house damaged after being hit by truck - I managed to be on scene after hearing about this across police radio, I thought I might as well be the first to nominate for this category - 220.127.116.11 11:10, 3 August 2006 (UTC) (Cartman02au)
- NSW govt to rebuild high school with private funding - Might as well be another story in this category to go against - Cartman02au 23:43, 3 August 2006 (UTC)
- The Australia Institute identifies ideal sites for nuclear power plants - Cartman02au 23:51, 3 August 2006 (UTC)
- Howard's revival of nuclear debate "surprising": Political expert - a mass of research went into this article - Cartman02au 23:51, 3 August 2006 (UTC)
- w:en:Battlefield Baseball (). Not featured or anything... but I think its pretty good. Can't hurt, and there are no other articles on obscure films (OMG CRUFT) here, so I'll give it a shot. --18.104.22.168 (SB) 04:07, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-party_talks Self-nomination. This is a mix of recent and current news about an on-going event that has still not been resolved. It is largely written by myself and is informative, detailed, to-the-point, concise and up-to-date. Jsw663 08:37, 1 August 2006 (UTC)
- en:b:German - German Language Textbook (in English). Has earned both Collaboration of the Month and Book of the Month distinction on en.wikibooks, and is "published" in PDF format. Significant improvement over the past year since the last Wikimania. --Robert Horning 05:35, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
- en:b:French - French Language Textbook (in English). Has earned both Collaboration of the Month and Book of the Month distinctions as well on en.wikibooks. Significant development has occured in 2006. --Robert Horning 05:43, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
- en:b:Cookbook - Wikibooks Cookbook. Not only has it earned Book of the Month distinction this year, it also got "awarded" its very own independent namespace within Wikibooks due to simply the raw size of its content. Indeed might instead be considered a potential future candidate for an independent Wikimedia sister project if it keeps up with its growth. Some significant improvement over the same content from last year at this time. --Robert Horning 05:35, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
- en:b:Wikijunior Big Cats - The first of the Wikijunior books to get past the final proofreading stage and really become something worth giving to kids as a printed book. Also a Book of the Month winner this past year. Currently the source of some issues because it is offered for sale by Lulu Press and has already had some sales putting this into the hands of kids. Most of the significant improvement of this content took place in 2006. --Robert Horning 05:40, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
- de:b:Aus Deutschland in die USA umziehen - Book of the Month distinction on de.wikibooks, and the focus of significant effort on German Wikibooks as well. --Robert Horning 05:56, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
- de:b:Go - Strategy guide to the game of Go. Book of the Month in November 2005, and significantly complete. --Robert Horning 05:56, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
- fr:b:S'initier au boulier en 10 leçons - Learning how to use an abacus (in French). Significnat development in 2006 making this one of the first complete texts on fr.wikibooks. --Robert Horning 13:24, 25 July 2006 (UTC)
- pt:b:Introdução à Programação - Introduction to Programming (in Portuguese). Nearly complete as a textbook and mostly written and completed in 2006. --Robert Horning 22:38, 26 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://nl.wikibooks.org/wiki/Handboek_MediaWiki - Nearly complete handbook of MediaWiki. Entirely written in 2006.
Quote and dictionary selections
- http://nl.wikiquote.org/wiki/Maarten_Ducrot - Nice selection of quotes of Maarten Ducrot, sportsjournalist. Entirely written since Wikimania Frankfurt. Effeietsanders 23:36, 28 July 2006 (UTC)
- http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Sumo - Pretty large selection of sumo terms: Quite difficult to find these terms too. --Wiktionary:User:SemperBlotto
Judging criteria: Ideal submissions will be
- – Entirely or mostly created / developed / remixed / released under a free license in the past year
- – Educational, or good exemplars of a specific topic; in use on a Wikimedia project other than Wikimedia Commons
- – Aesthetically pleasing
Please sort the following submissions into one of the categories below.
Category: Maps and Diagrams
Category: Photography - Nature
A specific insect, plant, animal etc. or a more general image of natural phenomena. Subjects must be accurately identified in order to make them fully suitable for the projects (i.e. "insect" is not sufficient, which species is it?).
Category: Photography - People
This can be a specific person mentioned on the projects, or a more general illustration of a person (for example doing a particular job or of a particular nationality).
Category: Photography - Places
This includes landmarks from particular places as well as more general images.
Category: Photography - Objects
A catch-all category. Might include an illustration of a recipe for Wikibooks, a household item for an article on Wikipedia, and so on.
Entries in this category should be recordings of music, speech, sounds of nature, or other audio content. For information on and help with audio formats, see meta and en.wikipedia.
Entries in this category should be animated gifs or shorts, or edited video of drawings, puppets, clay, etc.
Content created on the way to or at the Wikimania conference - Photography, Audio, Video.
Any free content video is suitable for submission to the film screening, regardless of its provenance or use on Wikimedia projects. "Free content" in this context means content available for derivative and commercial use.
- Wikimania 2005 montage, by Rory O'Connor and Danny Schechter
- BBS documentary, by Jason Scott Sadofsky
- "Friday's Flowers" (cf. Friday's Flowers and the Wiki as Art)
- Eric Steuer of Creative Commons
- Jennifer Yip of Creative Commons
- Nicholas Reville from the Participatory Culture Foundation
- Elizabeth Stark from Free Culture
- Ben Yates, of Wikipedia Blog (and designer of the Wikimania logo)
- Fir0002, willing to be a judge, but not for categories with my own photos :-)
- GChriss, willing to be a judge.
- DamianFinol, willing to be a judge
- Dante Alighieri, willing to be a judge
- Gnangarra, willing to be a judge (online only)
- 1 Nokia 770 Internet Tablet for the best overall media and writing submission, thanks to Nokia
- 1 Wikinews shirt or hat, for the best 2 news and current events contributions -- Sj
- 1 $50 Amazon.com gift certificate, for the best Wikipedia submission
- 1 copy of Catherine Munro's "This is an Encyclopedia" poster, to every finalist for encyclopedic writing.
- 1 container peanut butter surprise, for the best surrealist artshow entry -- Sj
- 1 gift certificate for a free book from PediaPress, to each of 3 winning text entries
- 1 Wayuu Bag, from the Wayuu people in Venezuela.